Baxter Regional Medical Centerand#39;s Peitz Cancer Support House (PCSH)
has some exciting events planned for March. Everyone is encouraged to
Dress in Blue Day on Friday, March 7. The purpose of Dress in Blue Day is to promote awareness
about colon cancer, encourage individuals, businesses and community groups
to wear blue (the colon cancer awareness color) and talk to each other
about the importance of colon cancer screenings. Itand#39;s so easy to participate…
just wear blue on Friday, March 7!
The 11th annual
Cancer Support Womenand#39;s Retreat is scheduled for Friday, March 14 - Sunday, March 16 at the Fisherman's
Lodge in Cotter, AR. The retreat is a chance for all women, from newly
diagnosed to long-term survivors, to get away for the weekend and support
one another, with planned activities to help live with, through, and beyond
cancer. Cost is $50 and includes lodging and meals. Scholarships are available,
space is limited and registration is required by March 3. Registration
forms available at the Peitz Cancer Support House.
In addition to these special March events, see the list below of support
groups, programs and services of the PCSH.
For women breast cancer patients, newly diagnosed and long-term survivors
- Tuesday, March 11, noon - Discussion Group
- Thursday, March 13, 6 p.m. - Discussion Group
- Thursday, March 27, 6 p.m. - Discussion Group (topic: Depression and Cancer)
For family members or friends of cancer patients
- Monday, March 3, 1 p.m. - Discussion Group
- Friday, March 21, 1 p.m. - Discussion Group
Celebrating Life Group
For all types of cancer, for men and women
- Friday, March 7, noon - Discussion Group
- Friday, March 21, noon - Discussion Group
Womenand#39;s group, learn to crochet or knit items.
- Wednesday, March 5, 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 12, 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 19, 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 26, 1 p.m.
Living With Hope
For all types of cancer, for men and women. Meets in Peel, AR
- Tuesday, March 18, 3 p.m. - Discussion Group
Men with Cancer
For men with any type of cancer, wife/support person is welcome to attend as well
- Thursday, March 13, 7:30 a.m. - Bob Cogburn, MD Hematologist/Oncologist
will answer your cancer related questions as well as share information
on the updates to cancer research in the news.
Exercise for Cancer Survivors - Must pre-register for sessions
- Healthy Steps - Every Thursday, 1 p.m. - Program taught by certified physical
therapists. Uses smooth slow resistant movements.
- PCSH Cancer Wellness Group - Every Tuesday and Thursday, 9:30 a.m. - individualized
program held in the Knox Wellness Center.
- Yoga - Every Friday, 2:30 p.m. - focuses of deep breathing and relaxation
techniques along with gentle stretching.
Tobacco Cessation - Develop an individualized cessation plan based upon your tobacco habits
- March 3, 17 and 19, 6 p.m. (must attend all three sessions to complete program)
Cancer: What You Need to Know - Educational session open to anyone. Topics include cancer overview, basic
cancer treatments, support and resources available.
- Tuesday, March 11, 2 p.m.
Nutrition Education - Registered dietician will discuss nutritional needs of cancer patients
before, during, and after treatment.
- Tuesday, March 25, 2 p.m.
Cancer Support Connections New Volunteer Training - If you are one year post treatment, you can provide support for those
newly diagnosed with cancer through a one on one connection with a cancer survivor.
Available Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Cancer Information Binders - information specific to your type of cancer,
over 120 types of cancer available. Binders include resource information.
- Wig and Turban Bank - for women experiencing hair loss due to cancer
- Mastectomy Bra Bank - Information on specialized bras and breast forms,
we can help you locate a certified mastectomy fitter as well as information
on breast reconstruction services in our area.
- Cancer Support Connections - a program to provided support to newly diagnosed
cancer patients through a one on one connection from a cancer survivor.
For more information about the Peitz Cancer Support House, call (870) 508-CARE
(2273), or email Regina Ellis, PCSH Coordinator, at
here for the Peitz Cancer Support House online calendar.